Lynbrook-Massapequa Lodge NO. 822 - Chartered June 2, 1897
The history of Lynbrook-Massapequa Lodge 822 is the story of two lodges that merged in 1986.The number 822 comes from the Massapequa Lodge, chartered June 26, 1897. The Lynbrook Lodge number was 1018, receiving its charter in 1923.
The first Master of Massapequa Lodge was R∴W∴Thomas R.LeCount with the first communication being held in Odd Fellows Hall opposite the Rockville Centre train station. The Massapequa Lodge had several homes over the years. In 1920 the lodge acquired 28 Lincoln Avenue in Rockville Centre. The structure was known as the Rockville Centre Club. The old barn-like structure was converted to a Masonic Temple. There followed many years of good and bad times financially but by the late 1970's the maintenance, insurance, heating costs and property taxes forced the lodge to dispose of the building. The Long Island Valley of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, a tenant for many years, assumed ownership in 1979. Massapequa lodge entered into a new phase of its existence, a tenant in its former home.
Lynbrook Lodge received its charter June 23, 1923; W∴ Fred Lindley was the first Master of Lynbrook Lodge and its first meeting were held at Massapequa's Temple. Later lodge rooms were established in Lynbrook Theater building on Merrick Road in Lynbrook. The Lynbrook Lodge grew and prospered and in 1926 a plot was acquired on Earl Avenue and Peninsula Boulevard in Lynbrook. The erection of the temple proceeded and in September 1929 the cornerstone was laid but only the basement area was completed even though the plans called for a multi-storied building. Increased operating costs, lack of tenants and decreasing membership made building ownership a monetary drain and Lynbrook fell victim to the same money problems as Massapequa Lodge. Lynbrook sold its building and took up residence in 28 Lincoln Avenue by then the Scottish Rite Temple. After much soul searching and debate the two lodges merged in 1986 to become Lynbrook-Massapequa Lodge No. 822.
To this day the Master uses a unique “Lions Paw” gavel fabricated in 1917 from metal obtained from the gas lamps at the old Masonic Hall on 23rd street in New York City.